Elementary OS 5 Juno release is officially announced and ready for download from here with more user experience. Elementary Os is an Ubuntu-derived distribution with a focus on the user interface. This article will show you the steps to install in dual boot Elementary OS 5 Juno with windows 10.
This final stable release is available since the 16th October 2018 as presented in the official blog and based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
What's new on Elementary OS 5.0 Juno?
The release 5.0 of Elementary OS is the fifth major release with lots of new features and improvements such as
- A new Installer instead of Ubiquity as explained in one article of Daniel Foré the founder of Elementary OS
- Improved Appcenter
- Night light mode
- Icons and stylesheet changes
- New wallpapers
- Redefined color palette
- Change on photo app with full HiDPI support
- Terminal has new settings
- and some others
You can get more information about the new features in the official announcement.
1) Prepare Windows
This part will summarize the steps to follow in order to prepare Windows 10 for the dual boot because those steps have been covered. The preparation consists of:
- Checking the partitions to see if you use GPT or MBR partition table to know if you need to install Elementary in EFI or BIOS mode.
- creating the partitions that will host our Elementary Juno.
- disabling the fast startup option to be able to reboot on the Elementary installation media. You can need to disable the secure boot but it's normally supported.
- restarting your system and boot on the installation media of Elementary Juno 5.0
2) Installation of Elementary Juno 5.0
We will create only two partitions: the home and root. When you boot on Elementary Juno, you will see a black screen which means that you are installing Elementary in EFi mode. You can see the grub
You can see Elementary starting
Now you need to choose the installation language
Now choose the keyboard layout
Choose to install the update during the process
else you can face some issues during the end as below. I had this issue previously but when I chose to install the updates, I have not encountered the same issue.
Choose to manually create the partitions
Identify the partition to use and create those we have chosen. we will not create the swap partition. Now, create the root partition
and create the home partition