Installing the Genymotion android emulator is not hard, but is not easy too. Before installing this useful software in your machine you need to sign up for an account on the genymotion.com website, but first let me introduce you guys to some features of the Genymotion software.
Note: If you haven't red our article about Genymotion testing you should check it out before going any further.
For thus that don't want to read our previous article and go straight to the installation, Genymotion is a multiplatform android emulator software which is being created to help users and developers run android applications in their machines without the need of a physical device. There is a free version of Genymotion software for personal usage, but if you plan to use it in commercial projects you should go for the paid version. All you need is a free account, sign up for free and download this amazing emulator.
- More than 10 virtual devices available
- Powerful sensors
- Commandline tools
- Support for the Eclpise plugin
- Simultaneously testing
- Display:Open GL acceleration,multiscreen, full screen display
- Perfectly integration within your development workflow
So lets create a free account on Genymotion website and install the android emulator software in our linux machine. I think that the best way to explain something which is tech related is by providing screenshots to the reader.
1. Go to the Sign up page and fill it with your information like shown in the following screenshot.
2. After completing the sign up you will receive an email that will help to activate your account on Genymotion website.
3. Activate your account.
4. Download Genymotion software for your platform.
5. Save Genymotion in your favourite location
6. After the download is finished open a new terminal (CTRL+ALT+T in Ubuntu) and run the following command to make the genymotion's binary file executeable
chmod +x genymotion-2.0.1_x86.bin
7.Run the binary file with the following command
8.Install the Genymotion software in the specified directory
9.cd to the genymotion directory and run the Genymotion tool
10. The Genymotion player will appear after you run the software
11. Create a new virtual device>
12. Virtual device deployment
13. Download files and deploy the Genymotion virtual device
14. Your virtual devices
Select the android device you want to play and click the Play button. The Genymotion player will ask you for ADB connection but ignore it for the moment.
You "have" an android device now, enjoy it!
Read our article about Genymotion testing and I guarantee you will like it.