Hi everyone, in this tutorial we'll learn about how to install the latest LXQT 0.9.0 Desktop Environment in Ubuntu Operating System and its derivatives like Linux Mint, Elementary OS, and many more. This article also includes some introduction and changelog of the latest LXQT Release.
LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
LXQt 0.9 also brings in our first KDE Frameworks dependencies. KWindowSystem is a true-and-tested library for handling window events. It replaces our custom XFitMan library and will greatly help in becoming fully compatible with Wayland. KGuiAddons also replaces a hard dependency on Xlib in lxqt-panel.
- New theme: "Frost". A cold, dark theme courtesy of Inti Alonso. Screenshots available on lxqt.org!
- A-Mego, Flat and Green have been deleted as they were low quality or too similar to other themes.
- The old Dark theme has been merged with the Flat Dark theme from LXQt 0.8.
Please note that theme re-configuration will be needed if you are using one of the old themes.
- The functionality of the old lxqt-power has been restored into an "lxqt-leave" component. It is now part of lxqt-session.
- Panel background is now configurable
- The main menu plugin can now be navigated using the keyboard
- The Clock plugin has been merged into the World Clock plugin. It has received several changes and no longer requires ICU. Reconfiguring the clock may be required upon upgrading depending on your settings.
- The power management component now supports displaying multiple batteries
Other Changes includes
- KWindowSystem replaces XfitMan in lxqt-panel, lxqt-runner, lxqt-session, lxqt-notificationd and lxqt-session.
- KGuiAddons replaces a hard dependency on Xlib in lxqt-panel
- A copy of xdg-utils is no longer bundled with LXQt. The minimum xdg-utils version required is 2012-03-02.
Here are the steps below by which we can install LXQT 0.9.0 on our Ubuntu Operating System. Here, I am running 14.0.4 LTS "Trusty" and this article should work fine in the previous releases of Ubuntu too.
1. Adding PPA Repository
One of the way to install LXQT in Ubuntu is by installing it using the PPA Repository. So, we'll need to add PPA Repository, to do so, we can simply fire the command below in a shell or a terminal:
$ sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily
Now, after we have added PPA Repository, we'll need to update the local repository source index of our Ubuntu machine. To update the source index, we'll need to run the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update
3. Installing LXQT
Now finally, we'll gonna install our best Lightweight LXQT Desktop Environment in our Ubuntu. To install it, we'll need to install the packages by running the command as shown below.
$ sudo apt-get install lxqt-metapackage lxqt-panel openbox
After pressing Y and hitting enter, the installation will begin. At the end of installing the packages, we may be asked to choose a default window manager as shown below. Please select the window manager you like to set as default.
After selecting the default display manager, we'll see that the installation has been completed as shown below.
4. Running LXQT Desktop
After finishing the installation of LXQT, we surely want to give a test drive and run LXQT Desktop. To do so, we'll need to logout from the current desktop environment and then switch to LXQT Desktop.
So, after logging out, we'll get to see the options to select the desktop session as show in the below image.
So, after logging in with the required password, we'll get to see that our favorite Lightweight Desktop Enviornment will run and we'll get the desktop interface as shown in the following image.
Hurray! We have successfully installed our latest LXQT 0.9.0 Desktop on our Ubuntu machine running 14.04 LTS "Trusty". It is well known for lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment in the world of Linux. So, if you have any questions, suggestions, feedback please write them in the comment box below. Thank you ! Enjoy LXQT 0.9.0 :D